9 Tips for Posting on Social Media
As a business that focuses on social media, and the value you can get from its data, we understand its importance as a channel for marketing teams.
Our Marketing Cloud partner status with Salesforce has meant we’ve worked with hundreds of brands who are busy implementing social into their marketing efforts with Social Studio – Salesforce’s leading social media management and analysis tool.
Our consultants know what it takes to be successful when it comes to social media and they’ve rounded up some of their top tips for posting on social media.
- Know your audience: Building an audience persona of who your brand is targeting on social media (and it might change slightly dependent on what you’re posting) will help you know how to talk to them, when to talk to them and what’s important to them so you can create and post the most relevant content for them
- Post at the perfect time: As with most things in life, timing is everything…especially when it comes to posting on social, and will help with maximising engagement. There has been a huge amount of research into when the best time to post is (see here) but it’s always worth carrying out your own analysis on posts. Which leads us onto our next point…
- Know how your posts are performing: It’s all well and good having an endless stream of content but if you’re not taking the time to figure out what’s performing well – and why – it’s not really a strategy is it?
- Approval rules are king: Avoid a McDonald’s Black Friday tweet slip up, by having rules in place to avoid any posts going out unapproved. It also means that is a paper trial in place so you know who has scheduled which posts and when…much more secure than letting everyone in the company know your social account passwords
- Post different types of content: To keep your audience engaged make sure there is a balance behind the posts you schedule – you don’t want to be posting just social photos of the office parties, or just long product reviews on your LinkedIn. Think about creating a content ratio to follow so you’re not just doing promotional content, but also providing value and showing off your company culture
- Engage & respond with your followers: Technology like Social Studio is a heaven send for being able to schedule posts but it’s freeing up your time on the admin side to do more valuable community building work. Take the time to see what responses come in from your scheduled posts and create conversations with those who engage with you…and remember to do so in a timely manner!)
- Know when to pause or stop campaigns: Even the best prepared campaign can end up with a negative reaction, or events might happen that mean your posts will be ill-timed. Be prepared to remove, or delay, when necessary. This also works the other way – if a piece of news takes off and you know your brand can hijack it (check out our blog post on newsjacking for more info on this subject) then you should be prepared to pause other posts
- Optimise post frequency: It’s always difficult to know how much you should be posting on social media – some brands have thousands of posts going out every month successfully, others don’t. The key thing to remember is that so long as your posts are engaging, entertaining or useful and you have the time to respond to any comments etc, it’s probably alright to increase your post frequency. But as with anything, make sure you are analysing the metrics to see whether this fits for your brand
- Recycling is good: One mistake that too many brands make is that once content is posted, they never use it again as content is only good if it’s fresh and new. But that couldn’t be further from the truth. When your content has been really successful, re-post it! There’ll be plenty of people who haven’t seen it before and will probably love to see it. You can also re-purpose the content into a new form if you want to inject a new spin on it.
Are there any tips you always share with people when it comes to posting on social media? We’d love to hear what you’d add to the list, so add a comment and tweet us @MML_Research
Having the right partner in place to help your brand get the most your social media management tool is an important piece of a brand’s social media strategy. We know what it takes to make a brand successful so if you want to meet for a coffee to find out how we could help your brand with its social, drop us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Helping companies get to know their customers has always been at the core of our business. Using social to power that relationship has become a key part of most customer facing businesses and Media Measurement are here to help our customers identify, understand and connect with their customers.